Olde Stone House Historic Village Heritage Tourism Assessment 2020

Olde Stone House Historic Village

The Olde Stone House Historic Village (OSHHV) of Washington Township, in Gloucester County, New Jersey is a historic site centered around the stone George (Jr.) and Sarah Morton House, listed on the National Register and dates to c. 1765.  In the 1970s, local historians collected four other historic but threatened frame buildings in the community and had them moved to the Morgan House property to create the Olde Stone House Historic Village. The all-volunteer Washington Township Historic Preservation Commission is responsible for programming this site, and they offer a handful of seasonal special events. More recently, the Friends of the OSHV have been providing guided tours on Second Saturday and educational  events to provide more opportunities for visitors to see these interesting historic buildings.

 

We are now wrapping up our work on a Heritage Tourism Assessment of the site. We wrote and designed a general visitor brochure, a map of nearby visitor services (gas stations, ATMs, and eateries), and a report with recommendations for further development of the OSHV as regional visitor attraction.  Learn more about the   Olde Stone House Historic Village from their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/oldestonehousehistoricvillage/?rf=284049654946128